1. moreover adv. 而且，再者，此外，加之
The firm did the work very well. Moreover，the cost was not too high.
The price is too high，and moreover it isn’t in a suitable position.
2. therefore adv. 因此，所以
He was busy;therefore he could not come.
The new trains have more powerful engines and are therefore faster.
3. otherwise adv. 否则，不然
You must pay your taxes on time;otherwise，you will be punished.
You must work hard;otherwise you will not learn English well.
4. meanwhile adv. 与此同时，在此期间
They’ll be here in ten minutes. Meanwhile，we’ll have some coffee.
Jane was painting the wall and meanwhile Pat was watching TV.
5. practically adv. 几乎，简直，差不多;实际上，事实上
The holidays are practically over;there is only one day left.
Practically，we have solved all these problems.
6. gradually adv. 逐渐地
Things gradually improved.
And gradually their talk ceased;long silence followed.
7. actually adv. 实际上，事实上，说实在的
Actually that’s not quite right.
He talks big but doesn’t actually do anything.
8. approximately adv. 大约，大概
The accident happened at approximately 5：30.
These visits had continued regularly，approximately every third week.
9. generally adv. 通常，一般，广泛地，普遍地
Doctors generally work long hours.
Generally he watches TV for two hours in the evening.
10. obviously adv. 明显地，显然
He was obviously drunk.
He found a young and beautiful girl，who kept shouting and crying，obviously mad.
11. however adv. (表示转折)可是，然而
My room is small;however，it’s comfortable.
He said that it was so;he was mistaken，however.
12. extremely adv. 极其，非常
I admire his courage extremely.
I can’t work because your radio is extremely loud.
13. narrowly adv. 勉强地，差点没
He narrowly escaped being run over.
He narrowly missed being seriously injured.
14. occasionally adv. 偶尔，间或
We only have dinner parties very occasionally these days.
It’s all right to borrow money occasionally，but don’t let it become a habit.
15. eventually adv. 最后，终于
He worked so hard that eventually he made himself ill.
We waited three days for the letter and eventually it came. 我们等了三天，信终于来了。
1. The committee is discussing the problem right now, _____it will have been solved by the end of next week.
A. eagerly B. hopefully C. immediately D. gradually
2. Progress so far has been very good. _______，we are sure that the project will be completed on time.
A. However B. Otherwise C. Therefore D. Besides
3. He began to take political science _______only when he left school.
A. strictly B. truly C. carefully D. seriously
4. She devoted herself to her research _______and it earned her a good reputation in her field.
A. strongly B. extremely C. entirely D. freely
5. —Hi，Mark. How was the musical evening?
—Excellent!Ales and Andy performed _______ and they won the first prize.
A. skillfully B. commonly C. willingly D. nervously
6. As he works in a remote area，he visits his parents only______.
A. occasionally B. anxiously C. practically D. urgently